Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-M) has topped the overall National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) list for the year 2020. A total of 18 institutions from Tamil Nadu have made it to the top 100 in this list, which was released online by Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank on 11 June.
NIRF is a framework approved by the Ministry of Human Resource Development that outlines a methodology for ranking institutions across the country. The framework ranks educational institutions around the country based on broad criteria such as teaching, learning and resources, research and professional practices, graduate outcomes, outreach and inclusivity and perception.
VIDEO | List of top institutes in NIRF ranking 2020
Here is the rank list of Tamil Nadu universities:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras – 1
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore – 13
- Anna University, Chennai – 20
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore – 21
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli – 24
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore – 28
- Madras University, Chennai – 41
- Shanmugha Academy of Arts Science Technology and Research, Thanjavur – 48
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai – 51
- s. R. M. Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai – 5 M.
- Satyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai – 61
READ | IISc, JNU and BHU are the best universities in India
- Alagappa University Karaikudi – 64
- Sewathi Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai – 66
- Bharatidasan University, Tiruchirappalli – 77
- Sri Shivasubramanya Nadar College of Engineering, Kanchipuram – 83
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai – 84
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore – 86
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai – 87.