Hathras gangrape: AMU doctor who questioned FSL report told to go

Written by Jignasa Sinha
| New Delhi |

October 21, 2020 3:49:43 am

Aligarh Muslim University’s Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College

A doctor at Aligarh Muslim University’s Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, who had earlier this month told The Indian Express that the FSL report within the Hathras girl’s case “holds no value”, was requested Tuesday “not to perform any further duties”.

Apart from Dr Azeem Malik, one other doctor, Obaid Haque, has additionally been issued an analogous letter by the hospital. Dr Haque had attested the lady’s medico-legal case report.

Citing the FSL report, Uttar Pradesh ADG (Law and Order) Prashant Kumar had earlier told a press convention that the 19-year-old Dalit girl was not raped.

Dr Malik had, nevertheless, told The Indian Express: “The samples for FSL were collected 11 days after the woman was raped, while the government guidelines strictly say forensic evidence can only be found up to 96 hours after the incident. This report can’t confirm rape in this incident.”

On Tuesday morning, Dr Malik and Dr Haque acquired letters signed by the CMO in-charge Dr SAH Zaidi which  said: “This is to inform you that as directed by the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Tariq Mansoor via telephone on 20.10.2020 at 11:14 am, your appointment on the post of Medical Officer, Emergency & Trauma, JNMCH, is rejected with immediate effect. Therefore, you are requested not to perform any further duties.”

The AMU administration, when contacted, mentioned: “The administration has not suspended any doctor related to Hathras incident. Two months back, there were vacancies because existing CMOs took leave. Few of them were infected with Covid. There was an emergency and the two doctors — Dr Malik and Dr Haque — were only appointed to fill the ‘leave vacancies’. Now that the CMOs are back, there are no leave vacancies, hence their services are not required.”

Later within the night, the AMU administration mentioned: “It has come to our notice that the doctors aren’t happy with the decision. We are looking into their grievances and they might be adjusted somewhere else in the hospital.”

Shafey Kidwai, professor on the division of mass communication and member in-charge of public relations at AMU, mentioned: “The university has not suspended any doctor for giving interview related to the Hathras incident to the media. The two doctors worked on leave vacancy and their terms expired on October 8, but the doctors attended the hospital and signed on some medico-legal cases. Hence, if CMO recommends their extension, the university may consider it.”

Dr Haque mentioned: “I was last paid in August. We were hired because our seniors weren’t well. That time, we were told to join immediately. I did my Master’s in surgery from AMU and graduated this year. I worked during the pandemic and risked my life and now they have terminated us because Dr Malik spoke to the media and they think that I leaked information. I am still not sure why I am being targeted. Three days ago, I came to know that my appointment will be rejected. We still don’t have a written statement from the Vice-Chancellor about this… This is sad, we didn’t do anything wrong.” The MLC attested by Dr Haque had, below “provisional opinion”, referred to “signs of use of force”.

Dr Malik, when contacted, additionally mentioned he wasn’t given final month’s wage and was “scolded” by his seniors as a result of he had given his “personal opinion” to the media.

“Earlier I was scolded but they didn’t do anything. Late in September, I had filed my application for an extension, but they have rejected it a month later. We have been terminated and they have not given us any reason,” he mentioned.

V-C Tariq and chief medical superintendent Dr Shahid Ali Siddiqui didn’t reply to calls and messages in search of remark. A senior doctor on the hospital mentioned the 2 medical doctors will get their salaries as soon as formalities are accomplished.

The Dalit girl, assaulted and allegedly raped by 4 higher caste males on September 14, was admitted to the AMU hospital for 2 weeks. She regained consciousness on the hospital on September 22, and recorded a press release saying she had been raped. She died at Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital on September 29.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and keep up to date with the most recent headlines

For all the most recent Lucknow News, obtain Indian Express App.


Back to top button