We imagine that Health, Wellbeing and Sustainability will probably be amongst the key tenets of the ‘New Normal’ rising from the COVID-19 pandemic. Global lockdowns the world over have just lately rooted our collective consideration to our homes as a base or sanctuary; underscoring the some ways in which the high quality of constructed atmosphere has a major influence on every day life, productiveness, recreation, rejuvenation and relaxation. This may additionally clarify the spike in residential curiosity and gross sales numbers that the majority pundits had initially dubbed as possible to be muted in the wake of the pandemic.
Now that extra individuals are spending time at house, stronger buyer preferences that permit for the versatile adaptation of the house to be used for residing, studying, working and taking part in are clearly rising throughout segments in most cities. In doing so, the choice to purchase a property appears to be ever extra positively influenced by facets of ample open areas and greenery, daylighting, air flow, high quality of air & water, density, proximity of a number of makes use of, walkability and the skill to adapt to impacts of local weather change or another pure adversity.
We can due to this fact anticipate an elevated adoption of Green Building and Wellness requirements extra robustly built-in and demonstrated in use for the residential planning sector. The scope of sustainability in design is probably going to broaden and embody a growth’s skill for its inhabitants to cope higher with public well being emergencies and prolong additional in the direction of constructing a strong framework with the metropolis permitting for higher dealing with and administration of such occasions. together with the ongoing impacts of local weather change.
At the outset we may have to reevaluate what we wish to obtain in re-designing our new homes. The thought is just not for us to essentially do essentially various things however somewhat to do issues we did earlier, in another way and extra sustainably. Given the unsure nature of public well being emergencies and looming local weather change our intent shouldn’t be to design particularly for a specific state of affairs however somewhat to make new homes simply adaptable and resilient for any such eventuality after having learnt from our present expertise.
This will influence most facets of the growth from city planning to constructing typology & design, density, MEP, supplies & finishes, and eventually the lifecycle and use of the project. Some of those concerns in the wake of the new regular are highlighted as under.
1. Home house owners will prioritize and search proximity to all necessities inside strolling radius. This might consequence in a desire for combined use grasp plans with a give attention to clearly demarcated biking and strolling routes.
2. Robust Services planning/ monitoring for water and air high quality together with elevated automation with sensors. Integration of thermal and different well being symptom detection mechanisms or readiness for them.
3. Design for efficient facility administration, straightforward upkeep and use. Increased give attention to waste administration techniques.
4. Integration of medical/quarantine areas as a part of amenity planning together with operational partnerships and ambulance tie-ups.
5. Fewer flats to a core and a give attention to daylit and properly ventilated cores. Separate elevator cores for employees/guests and elevated adoption of contact free expertise.
6. Innovations for well being – antimicrobial/antibacterial supplies that are straightforward to clear, double bowl kitchen sinks for disinfection and a devoted pantry for meals storage.
7. Spaces to have interaction and unwind with the emergence of house gyms and a renewed give attention to balconies to get recent air.
8. Focus on resilience with facilities that encourage self-sufficiency – balcony gardens for flats and neighborhood city farms for the collective.
(By Anubhav Gupta, Business Head – Vikhroli, Head of CSR and Sustainability, Founder of GPL Design Studio, Godrej Properties Ltd)