Monsoon Session 2021: The Union Government is prone to take up The Maintenance & Welfare of Parents & Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 within the monsoon session of the Parliament which began at present. A day earlier than the beginning of the session, PM Modi stated in an all-occasion meeting that significant discussions ought to happen within the House in the course of the monsoon session.
The Maintenance & Welfare of Parents & Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 is on the agenda of the Union Government. It can also be within the checklist of payments prone to be taken up throughout monsoon session 2021 shared by the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs.
ALSO READ | Monsoon Session Live Updates
This Bill for the upkeep of senior residents and parents was first accredited by the Union Cabinet in December 2019 however is but to be cleared by the Parliament. It goals to stop folks from abandoning parents and senior residents. The Bill supplies for the upkeep and welfare of parents and senior residents to make sure their fundamental wants, security and safety. Coming within the wake of two devastating waves of the Covid-19 pandemic within the nation, this Bill will give extra energy to senior residents and parents if cleared by the Parliament within the present session.
The Maintenance & Welfare of Parents & Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 introduces a number of modifications to The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007. Here are 5 key points:
- The modification invoice widens the definition of kids. Under the Act, the definition of kids consists of kids and grandchildren, excluding minors. However, the Amendment Bill has added step-kids, adoptive kids, kids-in-legislation, and the authorized guardian of minor kids to the definition.
- The definition of parents within the modification invoice not simply consists of organic, adoptive, and step-parents however father or mother-in-legal guidelines and grandparents additionally.
- The definition of upkeep has additionally been expanded within the modification invoice to incorporate the availability of healthcare, security, and safety for parents to steer a lifetime of dignity. The earlier definition of upkeep beneath the Act included the availability of meals, clothes, residence, medical attendance, and remedy solely.
- One of a very powerful modifications that the modification invoice seeks to introduce is the elimination of the cap of Rs 10,000 as upkeep cost. If the invoice turns into a legislation then greater than Rs 10,000 can be awarded as a upkeep quantity. While saying such an award, the upkeep tribunals should take into account the usual of residing and incomes of the father or mother or senior citizen as effectively the earnings of the youngsters earlier than deciding the upkeep quantity.
- The variety of days during which kids and family members should pay the upkeep quantity may also be decreased from 30 days to fifteen days.
The monsoon session of the Parliament began at present