Sports

FIFA’s Vice President for CONCACAF

Victor Montagliani (Photo Credit: Reuters)

Victor Montagliani believes the windows for national team matches in September, October and November may have been moved by coronaviruses.

  • The Associated Press
  • Last Updated: April 14, 2020, 12:14 PM IST

A vice president of FIFA said on Monday that most international football could not be played until 2021 due to the coronovirus epidemic travel ban and the need to have the chance to resume club competitions.

Victor Montagliani, president of the governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, has been planning a FIFA working group to deal with the implications of the world’s biggest game happening extensively since last month.

FIFA has already called matches between the countries which were to be played in March and June. Montagliani, president of CONCACAF, believes that the windows of September, October and November can be scrutinized for national team matches.

“I personally think that can be a bit of a challenge, not just because of the various issues of health issues and preparedness around the world, but we are also committed to international travel as soon as we come back.” Montagliani said interview with Associated Press. “I think domestic football is a priority. September is still in the books, but I would like to say that I’m not sure it’s on solid ground the way things are going right now.”

Fans’ return to packed stadiums may depend on a vaccine prepared for COVID-19 illness – and it may not until 2021.

He said in a video interview, “If we get a green light to play a football match. I highly doubt that the first football match will be with the fans. I can’t do it right now. I think I will be at a greater risk.” From Vancouver, British Columbia “I’m pretty sure it will be phased in approach, trying to be normal here in our context as the rest of society is going to be.”

Complete restoration of football in 2020 may not be possible in parts of the world affected by the epidemic, including Europe and North America.

“If you take it across international borders, it’s an important issue,” Montagliani said. “And yes, of course, there is always this possibility.”

The hexagonal of CONCACAF which determines the region’s three direct qualifiers begins with each nation playing two games each in September, October and November. The United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and either El Salvador or Canada will compete.

The scheduling will be further discussed by the working group featuring six associations.

“I am confident that the March window will be fine in 2021,” Montagliani said. “The priority is to help our National League… then watch our events.”

The qualifying format for the World Cup in Qatar can be halted with tightening deadlines for playing matches to reach the tournament which begins in November 2022.

Montagliani said, “We are likely to see some of our incidents rectified seriously.” “We are committed to our final four (in the League of Nations). But we have other events that we will probably have to see on the improvement, whether it qualifies for some of our youth competitions, even our World Cup , Where we are going. In the balance of possibilities, consider how work will be done in a situation where the calendar is now less than we expected. “

Montagliani states that CONCACAF is in a good financial position to deal with disruptions in the match calendar.

“Over time we can regain a lot of things. We don’t have the kind of engagement every weekend as a league does,” he said. “But I think that where CONCACAF is going to have a financial impact is within stakeholders, within leagues and clubs. I think that is going to have the greatest financial impact.”

Back to top button