A former Facebook worker’s testimony to US lawmakers on Tuesday alleged company’s restricted position within the nicely being of its customers, the unfold of misinformation and the menace to democracy.
In an evocative speech, Frances Haugen, a former product supervisor on Facebook’s misinformation group claimed how Facebook’s inaction may compromise democracy itself. Days earlier than the testimony, Haugen had been sharing paperwork with The Wall Street Journal which highlighted the company’s apathy in direction of its customers in several nations and from totally different age teams together with children.
India’s RSS finds point out
India, too discovered point out in these paperwork. While referring to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Haugen stated that its members and associates indulged in “fear mongering” in a criticism to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The criticism typically tried to deal with how Facebook “promotes global division and ethnic violence”. India finds point out in 4 out of those eight complaints made to the SEC, which have been made public by CBS.
Along with US and Brazil, India is positioned in “Tier 0”, which means “Top 3 political priorities” for the company.
Also learn: Facebook Crisis: Whistleblower Shares How FB Chose Profit Over User’s Mental Health
In phrases of tackling misinformation and hate speech, US acquired 87 per cent of all Facebook’s resources, whereas “the rest of the world” bought solely 13 per cent.
This implies that Facebook is ready to assault solely 3-5 per cent of hate speech and 0.2 per cent of “violence and inciting” content material on its platforms, as reported by TheWire. Ironically, out of Facebook’s 2.89 billion month-to-month customers, 340 million are from India.
According to an Economic Times report, “RSS (Indian nationalist organization Rashtriya Swayamswvak Sangh) Users, Groups, and Pages promote fear-mongering, anti-Muslim narratives targeted pro-Hindu populations with V&I (violence and inciting) intent,” the criticism filed with SEC reads.
Also learn: Facebook Whistleblower: FB Knows You’re Addicted But Won’t Do Anything About It
Facebook is aware of all of it
According to a Hindustan Times report based mostly on a reveal by The Wall Street Journal, Facebook has been conscious of India’s political issues for a while now. In 2020, a report termed “Bajrang Dal” a “dangerous” organisation. Even then, no motion was taken as a result of it “might endanger both the company’s business prospects and its staff in India”.
This allegation is in tune with what Haugen revealed about Facebook, saying that the company chooses revenue over anything whereas making coverage selections which have far reaching results on democracy.
Do you assume Facebook is doing sufficient to counter hate speech and worry mongering in India in the intervening time? Let us know within the feedback beneath.
For extra newest happenings on this planet of science and expertise, proceed studying Indiatimes.com.