Home WORLD Unfolding the Operation: Israel’s Rescue Mission for Four Hostages

Unfolding the Operation: Israel’s Rescue Mission for Four Hostages


The Israeli military embarked on a rare rescue mission to retrieve four hostages, a meticulously planned operation that received final approval just moments before its execution on Saturday morning, as confirmed by Israeli officials.

Backed by military, intelligence, and air force resources, Israeli special forces conducted a raid on two buildings situated several hundred feet apart in a Nuseirat neighborhood in central Gaza. The successful operation saw the safe return of the hostages—Noa Argamani (26), Almog Meir Jan (22), Andrey Kozlov (27), and Shlomi Ziv (41)—who were found in good medical condition. Tragically, one police officer, part of the raiding force, lost his life.

While the rescue was effective, it came at a cost. Local Gaza health officials reported numerous Palestinian casualties, including women and children, during the operation. The Israeli military clarified that their targets were militants who posed a threat to their forces during the hostage extraction. However, a breakdown of civilian versus combatant casualties was not provided by either Israeli or Palestinian authorities.

Despite ongoing efforts, Israeli troops had managed to free only seven hostages in prior operations, leaving approximately 120 captives still in Gaza. Some proposed rescue attempts were abandoned due to concerns of potential casualties among hostages or forces involved, according to Israeli defense officials speaking anonymously.

In a previous attempt in December, Israeli special forces sought to rescue a hostage held by Hamas, resulting in the death of Sahar Baruch, an Israeli captive, and serious injuries to two Israeli officers during the exchange of fire.

The mission to rescue the four hostages began with intelligence indicating their locations, culminating in weeks of meticulous planning and training for Israeli forces. Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari emphasized the complexity of operating in densely populated civilian areas, where Hamas militants deliberately hid among civilians.

After numerous aborted attempts over several weeks, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant ultimately approved the mission after assessing its risks and potential outcomes. The final go-ahead was given mere minutes before the operation commenced, underlining the delicate nature of the mission.

Israeli forces moved swiftly, launching the raid in broad daylight to catch Hamas off guard. The simultaneous assault on both buildings housing the hostages resulted in intense firefights, with Israeli forces ensuring the safety of the captives amid hostile resistance.

Despite facing heavy fire, Israeli officers successfully secured the hostages and evacuated them to awaiting helicopters. Tragically, an injured police commander, later succumbed to his wounds.

While the operation achieved its primary objective, it was not without consequences. Palestinian casualties underscored the challenges of conducting military operations in densely populated areas, where Hamas militants exploit civilians for cover, a tactic decried by Israeli officials as tragic and cynical.